Alta believes that planning and implementing excellent infrastructure is only the first step to increasing walking and bicycling. Programs encouraging and educating people about how and why to give bicycling and walking a try are equally important, and can be a cost-effective complement to infrastructure investments. Alta staff are experts on national and international trends and best practices in:
- Personal Travel Encouragement: Alta’s individualized marketing programs can reduce drive-alone trips by up to 10 percent while increasing healthy, active transportation habits through customized information packets, fun events, and neighborhood-specific maps. Alta designs and implements programs of all types, from one-time pilot programs to multi-year programs.
Featured Project: Marin County, CA Way to Go!
- Outreach and Marketing: Our services include designing media campaigns about walking and bicycling, running outreach events (such as “Lights On” and “Share the Path” events), creating compelling maps and brochures, and using up-to-date outreach tools like Facebook and Twitter to engage a wide audience of residents.
Featured Project: Juanita In Motion, Seattle, WA
- University Programs: Alta can provide sustainable travel plans, campus bike sharing services, bicycle orientation and training camps, cost-effectiveness analysis, demand management services, and more.
Featured Project: University of Oklahoma Bicycle Plan
- Safe Routes to School: Alta's Safe Routes to School services offer a uniquely complete package. In addition to outstanding infrastructure improvements, we have a specially-trained team available for "the other 4 E's": Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, and Evaluation.
Learn More about Safe Routes to School!
- Grant Writing: Alta staff have assisted jurisdictions across the country in winning over $75 million in grant funding, ranging from federal TIGER grants and SAFETEA-LU funds to state, regional, local, and private sources.
Learn More about Alta's Project Funding Services
- Bicycle-Friendly Communities: Alta can assist communities in applying for recognition through the League of American Bicyclists' Bicycle Friendly Communities program, and can perform a readiness assessment and create an action plan to accelerate eligibility.
Recent Success: Provo Bicycle Facilities Master Plan, UT (awarded Bronze BFC!)
- Complete Streets: Alta can help communities develop, adopt, and implement a Complete Streets policy to consistently design roadways with all users in mind (e.g., pedestrians, bicyclists, older people, children,people with disabilities, motorists, and transit riders). Once a policy is in place, Alta can provide implementation training for professionals whose work will be affected by the policy.
Featured Project: SCAG Agoura Hills, Kenan Road/Thousand Oaks Blvd Pedestrian Evaluation, CA
- Employer Services: Alta’s Programs team can work with employers to identify funding sources, design engaging walk/bike programs (such as a “bike to work challenge”), create employee orientation materials, and advise on employer bike sharing programs.