Associate Engineer or Designer (#1358)
Alta Planning + Design is seeking an experienced professional in Transportation Engineering or Landscape Architecture to lead our Fayetteville, Arkansas office. This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned project and people manager to take a leadership role working on high-profile active transportation projects throughout the state of Arkansas, Northwest Arkansas, Oklahoma, and southwest Missouri.
Alta Planning + Design is a full-service consulting firm in the areas of progressive and sustainable transportation and recreation solutions, including urban design, placemaking, corridor design, parks, and greenways. Alta is a world-leader in areas such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, greenway, roadway planning, complete streets, tactical urbanism, design, and implementation, in addition to outreach and education programs. Alta is a fast-growing and dynamic company with 200+ staff working in a collaborative fashion from over 30 offices in the U.S. and Canada. Alta’s mission is to help ensure that every community offers a full range of mobility and recreation options for people of all ages, interests, and abilities.
- Manage high profile projects and client relationships.
- Lead business development activities throughout the region.
- Contribute to the continued growth and success of the office.
- Manage and mentor staff.
Responsibilities + Tasks
- Creating proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes, presenting proposals to clients, and negotiating the final deliverables and costs.
- Identifying engagement goals and objectives and leading the client, internal and external teams ensuring any risks to deliverable are property managed.
- Communicating desired outcomes, and advocating for the client and managing expectations.
- Creating and maintaining project schedules, and communicating the status of project deliverables to clients in a timely and effective manner.
- Monitoring scope changes, securing necessary approval and implementing change orders.
- Administering the project including scheduling meetings, developing agendas, and project documentation, coordinating internal project meetings, ensuring timely delivery, and managing resources.
- Contributing to Alta’s internal Professional Development programs by developing and presenting material.
- Actively participating in industry-relevant professional associations and committees including assuming board-level positions.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining annual strategic plans (“SPROCKET” plans).
- Oversight of daily office administrative functions for a local office.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Landscape Architecture .
- Eight (8) or more years of experience as a Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity; OR Eight (8) or more years as a Landscape Architect.
- Three (3) or more years as a Project Manager; three (3) or more years managing staff.
- Experience in the field of active, non-motorized transportation
- RLA or PE in the state of Arkansas.
- Ability to implement and direct development of project scopes, budgets, technical design. documents and public outreach strategies.
- Ability to collaborate with employees in different states and regions.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, presentation, and analytic skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, Adobe Creative Suite, ESRI Arc GIS, or similar products.
Preferred Skills + Qualifications
- Master’s degree in in Engineering, or Landscape Architecture.
- RLA or PE in states surrounding Arkansas.
- Experience managing large projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience writing and/or presenting white papers and/or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation.
- Experience using Deltek Vision and/or MicroStation V8.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, SketchUp, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
Alta Planning + Design offers competitive salaries, great benefits including medical dental and vision, wellness and bike benefits, 21 days of paid time off to start, 10 paid holidays and a five-year travel award. We strive for work-life balance and welcoming and fun work environments for our employees. Alta employees “walk the talk” and are leading the conversations and solutions focused on creating livable and healthy communities.
To apply, please visit upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.