Design Associate (#1309)
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities. We plan, design, and implement infrastructure and programs that improve community and individual health, safety, mobility, and livability, such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, greenway, and roadway planning, design, and implementation, as well as outreach and education.
This role is responsible for supporting and nurturing practice areas within Alta and supporting efforts to build and develop client and partner relationships within those new or existing service markets. This role is also responsible for supporting the development of new business within his or her local market or region and growing Alta’s team members to become well-rounded and technically proficient contributors to Alta’s success.
An understanding and knowledge of Alta, its culture and services, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Nurture and grow client and industry partner relationships and secure work in support of Alta’s growth goals.
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Identify, develop and grow service area specialties in support of Alta’s desired market expansion goals.
- Develop a reputation for being an in-house expert and thought-leader including developing white papers, case studies, marketing blogs and presentations to disseminate current research in his or her area of specialty.
- Mentor potentially large groups of staff.
Responsibilities & Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes; may include presenting proposals to clients and negotiating the final deliverables and costs.
- Supporting the client, internal and external teams ensuring any risks to deliverable are property managed.
- Participating in the hiring process.
- Absent a person responsible for directly managing a project this position may be responsible for:
- Identifying engagement goals and objectives.
- Communicating desired outcomes; advocating for the client and managing expectations.
- Creating and maintaining project schedules and communicating the status of project deliverables to clients in a timely and effective manner.
- Monitoring scope changes, securing necessary approval and implementing change orders.
- Administering the project including scheduling meetings, developing agendas, and project documentation, coordinating internal project meetings, ensuring timely delivery and managing resources.
- Contributing to Alta’s internal Professional Development programs by developing and presenting material.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining annual strategic plans (“SPROCKET” plans).
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture or related field of study.
- Eight (8) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or public entity participating in projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and produce PS&E documents for assigned projects.
- Knowledge of marketing skills to aid in outreach and project development.
- Demonstrated understanding of street and trail design principles and a general understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- In-depth knowledge of NACTO, MUTCD, ADA, and relevant state DOT design requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles of site grading and general construction techniques.
- Ability to create photo-renderings, concept sketches, construction drawings and other similar materials for use in proposals and project deliverables.
- Ability to effectively read, understand and utilize technical drawings, maps and other similar documents.
- Exhibits strong initiative and the ability to capitalize on opportunities to enhance Alta’s position in the marketplace.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams.
- Previous experience presenting white papers or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation solutions.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, presentation, and analytic skills
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, or similar products.
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture or related field of study.
- Detailed understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a Project Manager.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, SketchUp, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
- Experience managing large projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience writing and/or presenting white papers and/or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation.
- Ability to guide staff members and manage internal team expectations.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
- Registration as a Professional Landscape Architect.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.