Designer I (#1321)
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities. We plan, design, and implement infrastructure and programs that improve community and individual health, safety, mobility, and livability, such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, green-way, and roadway planning, design, and implementation, as well as outreach and education. We are looking for a talented Designer I to join our Los Angeles, CA office.
This position is responsible for contributing to the production of high-quality materials, reports and other deliverables in support of project objectives.
A general understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position. The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality reports and analyses.
- Participate in public outreach and other project deliverables.
- Assist Project Managers in the development of project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to or sometimes leading the development of cost estimates and design details for construction documents.
- Creating plant palettes and landscape design recommendations.
- Supporting project objectives such as aligning trails and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Assisting in or sometimes leading the creation of photo-renderings, concept sketches, and construction drawings as required for project deliverables.
- Contributing to or sometimes leading the design or redesign of roadways to follow complete street principles.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Passion for active living and non-motorized transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture or a related field.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Working knowledge, and understanding of, and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Working knowledge, and understanding of, the design process.
- Exhibits initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- General understanding of MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint or similar products.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, SketchUp, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.