Engineer I (#1381)
Alta Planning + Design is a full-service consulting firm in the areas of progressive and sustainable transportation and recreation solutions, including urban design, placemaking, corridor design, parks, and greenways. Alta is a world-leader in areas such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, greenway, roadway planning, complete streets, tactical urbanism, design, and implementation, in addition to outreach and education programs. Alta is a fast-growing and dynamic company with 200+ staff working in a collaborative fashion from over 30 offices in the U.S. and Canada. Alta’s mission is to help ensure that every community offers a full range of mobility and recreation options for people of all ages, interests, and abilities.
Alta Planning + Design is seeking an Engineer I to join our team in our Oakland, California office. This is a unique opportunity for anyone who is passionate about active transportation and the way it positively impacts our communities in need. If you are looking for an innovative organization who is an industry leader in active transportation apply with us today!
Summary + Overview
This position is responsible for contributing to the production of high-quality materials, reports and other deliverables in support of project objectives.
A general understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality reports and analyses.
- Produce high-quality, accurate and complete design drawings, cost estimates and other project deliverables.
- Assist Project Managers in the development of project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of design plans and specifications, cost estimates and design details for construction documents.
- Supporting project objectives such as aligning trails and roadways and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Assisting in the creation of project deliverables.
- Contributing to the design or redesign of roadways to follow complete street principles.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Passion for active living and non-motorized transportation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a Civil or Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Working knowledge and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Working knowledge of engineering principles and techniques.
- Exhibits initiative and the ability to work with little supervision
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- General understanding of MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Synchro/SimTraffic or similar programs.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Synchro/SimTraffic or similar programs.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.