Engineer II (#1313)
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities. We plan, design, and implement infrastructure and programs that improve community and individual health, safety, mobility, and livability, such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, green-way, and roadway planning, design, and implementation, as well as outreach and education. We are looking for a talented Engineer II to join our Oakland, CA office.
Summary + Overview
This position is responsible for contributing to the production of high-quality materials, reports and other deliverables in support of project objectives.
A general understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality reports and analyses.
- Contribute to the production of high-quality, accurate and complete design drawings, cost estimates and other project deliverables.
- Assist Project Managers in the development of project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of design plans and specifications, cost estimates and design details for construction documents.
- Supporting project objectives such as aligning trails and roadways and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Assisting in the creation of project deliverables.
- Contributing to the design or redesign of roadways to follow complete street principles.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Passion for active living and non-motorized transportation
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Proficiency AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Synchro/SimTraffic or similar programs.
- One (1) or more years of experience as a Civil or Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity.
- General understanding of and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- General understanding of engineering principles and techniques.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibits initiative and the ability to work independently with supervision.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- General understanding of MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Synchro/SimTraffic or similar programs.
Preferred Skills + Qualifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- EIT certification preferred
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.