Engineering Associate (#1380)
Summary + Overview
This role is responsible for supporting and maintaining client and partner relationships, ensuring successful project delivery, contributing to the growth of an office within a local market and leading and growing Alta’s team members to become well-rounded and technically proficient contributors to Alta’s success.
This full-time position is located in our Toronto, Ontario office which offers a small close-knit team for day to day duties, but would support project work across Alta offices in Canada and North America.
An understanding of the field of non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across disciplines to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Nurture and grow client and industry partner relationships and secure work in support of Alta’s growth goals.
- Appropriately manage projects in a budget-conscious and time-sensitive manner.
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes; may include presenting proposals to clients and negotiating the final deliverables and costs.
- Identifying engagement goals and objectives leading the client and internal teams ensuring any risks to deliverable are property managed.
- Communicating desired outcomes; advocating for the client and managing expectations.
- Creating and maintaining project schedules.
- Monitoring scope changes, securing necessary approval and implementing change orders.
- Communicating the status of project deliverables to clients in a timely and effective manner.
- Administering the project including scheduling meetings, developing agendas, and project documentation, coordinating internal project meetings, ensuring timely delivery and managing resources.
- Managing and mentoring staff, providing feedback and professional development in a timely and effective manner.
- Contributing to Alta’s internal Professional Development programs by developing and presenting material.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining annual strategic plans.
- May include oversight of daily office administrative functions for a local office.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Eight (8) or more years of experience as a Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity; three (3) or more years as a Project Manager; three (3) or more years managing staff.
- Experience in, and knowledge of, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- In-depth understanding of street and trail design principles.
- General understanding of NACTO, MUTCD, AODA, TAC GDG, OTM Book 18 and relevant provincial design requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience preparing Plans, Specifications and Estimates packages for roadway projects and a detailed understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- General knowledge of the principles of site grading and general construction techniques.
- Ability to guide staff members and manage internal team expectations.
- Exhibits strong initiative and ability to capitalize on opportunities to enhance Alta’s position in the marketplace.
- Ability to manage competing priorities, multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams within budgetary and schedule constraints.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and analytic skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MircoStation, Synchro/SimTraffic, or similar products.
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
- Eligible for registration in a professional association in Ontario.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
- Experience managing large projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience writing and/or presenting white papers and/or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation.
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
Reporting + Management Structure
Reports to Principal and may manage one or more engineering-discipline employees who are less senior in experience.
There is no specific closing date. The posting will remain open until it is filled. Cover letters and resumes are not to be submitted to the Ottawa or Toronto office directly. Please use the company website listed above.