IT Systems Support Specialist (#1364)
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities where bicycling and walking are safe, healthy, fun, and normal daily activities. We specialize in bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, greenway, and roadway planning, design, and implementation in addition to outreach and education programs.
This position is responsible for ensuring the desktop, server, application, data, network, security, and VoIP systems are appropriately maintained, and to support the efforts of staff and facilitate timely and efficient delivery of project deliverables.
A broad understanding of desktop and server hardware, software, applications support, networking, security, and VoIP principles and protocols, as well as the ability to respond quickly to multiple customer needs in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priority of this position is to be a collaborative member of Alta’s IT staff in the timely resolution of customer issues and document those efforts.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the implementation and management of corporate policies and procedures regarding the use of Alta’s Information Technology systems and software products
- Managing and maintaining desktop, server, and network hardware and software to ensure appropriate functionality, including working directly with Alta staff
- Working with IT and Alta leadership to continually monitor Alta’s security posture
- Maintaining appropriate and effective remote connectivity and support
- Maintaining and regularly updating the Alta Resource Center (ARC)
- Documenting efforts in an IT tracking application
- Regularly coordinating IT activities between multiple Alta offices
This position requires a combination of skills, experience, and education including:
- Minimum thirty-six (36) months of experience as an IT System Support Specialist, sysadmin, network analyst, or similar position with strong customer engagement skills
- Solid and demonstrated understanding and support of the current Windows Professional desktop operating systems (8.1, 10, 64-bit), as well as Windows Server operating systems (2012 R2, 2016, and 2019), and Active Directory management
- Solid and demonstrated understanding and support of network systems, and network technologies
- Solid and demonstrated understanding and support of VoIP systems and management (Alta currently uses Jive Communications)
- Solid understanding and support of multifunction printers (MFP) configuration and setup, management, and support
- Ability to manage competing priorities, multiple, simultaneous projects, and logically perform troubleshooting tasks to arrive at effective solutions
- Work as a contributing member of a group, and individually when necessary with a strong sense of accountability and good decision making skills
- Use best practices with regard to IT systems and data security
- Maintain integrity and confidentiality with regard to internal Alta data
- Proven interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel 2-4 days per month
- Ability to lift 30lbs (14Kg), and occasionally work in confined spaces such as under desks or within cramped telco-rooms
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including:
- Solid and demonstrated understanding of enterprise sync and share applications such as Box, Egnyte,Google Drive, and Windows DFS
- Solid and demonstrated understanding of DNS and DHCP concepts, implementation, and troubleshooting
- Solid and demonstrated understanding of firewall setup, configuration, management and troubleshooting (SonicWALL experience preferred)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suites (2013, 2016, 2019), Google Apps, IT analytical tools and applications
- Ability to work with well with non-technical customers and explain complex technical concepts in ways that will be understood
- An Associates or Bachelors degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related field of study, or at least five years of IT industry experience
- Experience and understanding of:
- Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Autodesk applications
- ArcGIS and/or QGIS
- Trimble SketchUp
- MicroStation V8
- Enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tools, or similar products
- Certifications including:
- CompTIA A+, Network +, Security +
- Cisco CCNA
- Microsoft MCP
- SonicWALL SNSA or CSSP
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.