Landscape Architect Intern (#1326)
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities. We plan, design, and implement infrastructure and programs that improve community and individual health, safety, mobility, and livability, such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, green-way, and roadway planning, design, and implementation, as well as outreach and education. We are looking for a talented Landscape Architect Intern to join our Portland, OR office this summer.
Summary + Overview
This non-exempt position is responsible for contributing to the production of high-quality materials, reports and other deliverables in support of project objectives.
A general understanding of the field of design and the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this non-exempt, hourly position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality design documents, reports and analyses.
- Participate in the development of other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to a variety of project deliverables including cost estimates and design details for construction documents; plant palettes and landscape design recommendations; aligning trails and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Assisting in the creation of photo-renderings, concept sketches, and construction drawings for project deliverables.
- Contributing to the design or redesign of roadways to follow complete street principles.
- Other tasks as assigned.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Completion of a minimum of one (1) year of study in an accredited Landscape Architecture program
- General understanding of the design process.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with supervision.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- General understanding of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, SketchUp, GoogleEarth GIS, MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or similar products.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- General understanding of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, SketchUp, GoogleEarth GIS, or similar products.
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.