Landscape Design Intern (#1300)
Come join our Los Angeles office as a paid intern. This is an excellent part-time, temporary opportunity for a student to learn about creating livable and healthy communities and to work with a dedicated group of bicycle and pedestrian planners, landscape architects, and engineers who are leaders in the field.
A general understanding of the field of design and the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support project delivery. The ideal candidate will have a passion for active transportation, native landscapes, trails, and contributing to a safer, healthier built environment. The position will allow the candidate to contribute to landscape designs, master plans, presentation graphics, participate in a wide range of outreach events, and conduct field work.
The essential priorities of this non-exempt, hourly position are to:
- Contribute to the production of high-quality design documents, reports and analyses.
- Participate in the development of other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to a variety of project deliverables including cost estimates and design details for construction documents; plant palettes and landscape design recommendations; aligning trails and other design elements to meet appropriate ADA requirements.
- Assisting in the creation of photo-renderings, concept sketches, and construction drawings for project deliverables.
- Contributing to the design or redesign of roadways to follow complete street principles.
- Research and summarize policies and guidelines.
- Other tasks as assigned.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- General understanding of the design process.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects, if necessary.
- Good interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently with supervision.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- General understanding of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Actively in pursuit of degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture or related field of study.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Experience in a consulting environment or public entity.
- General understanding of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Photoshop, ArcGIS, SketchUp, GoogleEarth, ArcGIS, or similar products.
- Actively in pursuit of a Master’s of Landscape Architecture.
To apply, please upload a resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you’d be a good fit at Alta. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta Planning + Design is a proud and committed Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law.