Outreach Ambassador – Temporary (#1354)
The mission of Alta Planning + Design is to create active communities where bicycling and walking are safe, healthy, fun, and normal daily activities. We use the principles of transportation and recreation planning, landscape architecture and environmental awareness to design better places to bike, walk, play, and live. Working at Alta allows people to apply their skills and ideas to making the world a healthier, better place. Alta is actively seeking a personable and outgoing Outreach Ambassador to temporarily join the Tuwila in Motion Program.
Summary + Overview
The Outreach Ambassador will represent the King County In Motion campaign in Tukwila, WA. The ultimate goal of the In Motion program is to encourage residents and employees in a neighborhood to drive alone less by walking, bicycling, carpooling, and taking the bus instead. The Outreach Ambassador will split their time between direct outreach to the community and office work (data entry, assembly, and mailing of information packets). This position is located in Alta’s Seattle office, but requires some field work. The position is 25 hours per week and temporary, with employment dates of September 16 through December 20, 2019.
- Assembling customized packets of materials and brochures, including tracking and updating order database, organizing and filling orders, and other organizational tasks
- Weighing and mailing packages containing customized packets
- Staffing an information booth at community events to register new participants and share local transportation information
- Staffing and possibly leading guided walks, bike rides, and transportation fairs
- Door-to-door outreach in Tukwila to encourage residents to sign up for the program
- Completing weekly progress reports
- Maintaining weekly email and phone correspondence with supervising staff
- Other duties as assigned, such as printing and distributing flyers, inventory of supplies, organizing workspace, etc.
- Office work will take place in downtown Seattle. Field work will take place in Tukwila. When a vehicle is needed for field work, such as to transport equipment to an event, mileage or vehicle rental fees will be reimbursed.
- Other duties to be assigned during the duration of the position
- Experience working directly in a communication and/or outreach capacity with the public
- Interest in and knowledge of transportation options in King County (walking, bicycling, transit, ridesharing, car sharing, and/or bikesharing)
- Ability to represent King County Metro to the public
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills; comfort in interacting with the public
- Ability to prioritize and manage complex workflow
- Confidence and skills to work independently
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, creating and using Excel spreadsheets, data entry, and email
- A flexible schedule: Most work will take place during business hours, but the position will require some evening and weekend work for events.
- Comfort with prolonged standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and lifting up to 35 pounds, which may be required by the position
- A valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to drive to transport materials and/or staff events is required. Alta can rent a vehicle if you do not own one.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent
Preferred Skills + Additional Experience
- Native-level proficiency in Spanish and/or Somali (strongly desired)
- Ability to answer in-depth questions about transportation options in King County, including walking, bicycling, transit, ridesharing, and carsharing (including route selection, equipment, online resources and organizations, common concerns, etc.)
- Experience interacting with diverse groups of people
- Experience organizing and leading events, classes, or workshops
- Proficiency in using social media as an outreach tool (particularly Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram)
To apply, please visit upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.