Outreach Ambassador – Temporary (#1314)
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is an international consulting firm with a mission to create active communities. We plan, design, and implement infrastructure and programs that improve community and individual health, safety, mobility, and livability, such as bicycle, pedestrian, trail, park, green-way, and roadway planning, design, and implementation, as well as outreach and education. Alta is actively seeking a creative and personable Safe Routes to School Outreach Ambassador in San Bernardino.
Summary + Overview
In this position, you will be a member of the Safe Routes to School outreach team, a program of the San Bernardino County. Safe Routes to School works with schools, communities, students, and families to increase biking and walking among elementary, middle, and high school students. We promote a collaborative, community-focused approach that fosters mutual partnerships between advocacy groups, law enforcement, education leaders, and public health departments that all work together to promote safer routes for elementary and middle school students to get to school.
As a Safe Routes to School outreach ambassador, you will be responsible for being the County’s public face at events, building and maintaining relationships with public elementary and middle schools along with municipal and community stakeholders within the County of San Bernardino. You will work in a fast-paced team environment following an outreach model with goals and performance metrics. The essential priorities of this position are to:
- Performs a range of outreach, transportation, and marketing tasks aimed at enhancing opportunities for County school students to utilize healthy, active means of transportation, with a primary focus on walking and cycling to/from school.
- Develop, promote, and/or implement a range of school-based programs with the goal to teach and inspire children to start walking and bicycling more often to and from school, improving their physical health, safety, and community.
Responsibilities + Tasks
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Attending and documenting SRTS events
- Developing successful partnerships with existing and new partner schools and their stakeholders
- Deepening existing SRTS partner relationships through frequent contact and follow-up meetings, tracking program implementation and student participation
- Promoting bicycling and walking for school trips
- Assisting with school- and community-based SRTS plans and guiding the implementation of walking and cycling programs
- Coordinating Safe Routes events at participating schools
- Generating measurable results from school and student participation in Safe Routes initiatives
- Reporting on outreach activities and maintaining a current, accurate database of school contacts and participation
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in Marketing, Education, Communications, Planning, or related field
- Must be Bilingual – Spanish/English
- Experience working with multicultural communities and children
- 2+ years of business development, education, sales, marketing, outreach and/or other relevant business experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and highly experienced in handling multiple tasks in an organized and efficient manner
- Energetic, outgoing, and articulate individual who has the communication skills and persuasiveness necessary to influence, motivate, and inform travelers in the use of travel options statewide
- Proven track record meeting job performance expectations
- Ability to achieve objectives through teamwork and collaboration
- Drivers license and reliable transportation; requires frequent visits to project sites
- Some heavy lifting
- Desire to work with kids and schools
- TB and Live Scan testing
- Background check to determine eligibility to work with/near children
To apply, upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.