Senior Engineer (#1293)
Come join our St. Louis office as a Senior Engineer. This is an excellent opportunity for an engineer to help creating livable and healthy communities and to work with a dedicated group of bicycle and pedestrian planners and designers who are leaders in the field. Alta Planning + Design is a full service consulting firm providing planning, engineering, and landscape architecture services in the areas of multi-modal and sustainable transportation including street and intersection design, corridor and safety studies, trails and greenways. Alta is a world leader in bicycle, pedestrian, complete streets, and active transportation projects from planning to implementation including outreach and education programs. Alta is a fast-growing and dynamic company with 200+ staff working in a collaborative fashion from 35 offices in the U.S. and Canada. Alta’s mission is to help ensure that every community offers a full range of mobility options for people of all ages, interests, and abilities.
An understanding of the field of transportation engineering specifically related to non-motorized transportation, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries to support the delivery of solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position.
The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Enhance Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, supporting solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Produce high-quality, accurate, and complete design drawings, cost estimates and other project deliverables.
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the development of proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes.
- Participating in the development of detailed design plans, specifications, cost estimates and construction drawings for roadway and trail projects.
- Conducting research and writing relevant reports including formatting documents and developing presentation materials.
- Mentoring less senior staff in the development of their own professional technical proficiencies.
- Contributing to research and enhancing professional staff knowledge.
- Contributing to blogs and internal whitepapers.
- May contribute to the hiring process.
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Five (5) or more years of experience as a Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity.
- Knowledge of, and interest in the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Working knowledge of NACTO, MUTCD, ADA, and relevant state DOT design requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of engineering principles and techniques.
- Exhibits strong initiative and the ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involve cross-functional project teams.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Strong professional ethics, leadership kills, accountability and decision-making capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and analytic skills.
- Exhibits accuracy, attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Synchro/SimTraffic, or similar products.
- Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
- Marketing knowledge of the local market where the position is located.
- Experience mentoring professional staff.
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
- Experience using MicroStation V8.
- Experience presenting white papers or other presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure an active, non-motorized transportation solutions.
- Active participation in industry-relevant professional associations and committees.
- PTOE certification.
To apply, please upload a resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you’d be a good fit at Alta. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta Planning + Design is a proud and committed Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law.