Senior Engineering Associate (#1307)
Summary + Overview
This exempt management-level role is responsible for establishing, growing and nurturing practice areas within Alta and leading efforts to build and develop client and partner relationships within those new or existing service markets. This role is also responsible for developing new business within his or her local market or region and growing Alta’s team members into well-rounded and technically proficient contributors to Alta’s success.
A thorough understanding and knowledge of Alta, its culture and services, the ability to collaborate across discipline boundaries and deliver solutions which meet client expectations is required in order to successfully meet the requirements of this position. The essential priorities of this exempt, salaried position are to:
- Nurture and grow client and industry partner relationships and secure work in support of Alta’s growth goals.
- Solidify Alta’s reputation as a trusted advisor and expert by educating clients and other relevant parties, shaping and strategizing solutions which will meet their business objectives.
- Identify, develop and grow service area specialties in support of Alta’s desired market expansion goals.
- Act as the in-house expert and thought-leader including developing white papers, case studies, marketing blogs and presentations to disseminate current research in his or her area of specialty.
- Mentor potentially large groups of staff
Responsibilities + Tasks
Additional responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Creating proposals, statements of work, contract addenda, and scope changes; presenting proposals to clients; negotiating the final deliverables and costs.
- Identifying engagement goals and objectives.
- Supporting the client, internal and external teams ensuring any risks to deliverable are property managed.
- Participating in the hiring process.
- Absent a person responsible for directly managing a project this position may be responsible for:
- Communicating desired outcomes; advocating for the client and managing expectations.
- Creating and maintaining project schedules and communicating the status of project deliverables to clients in a timely and effective manner.
- Monitoring scope changes, securing necessary approval and implementing change orders.
- Administering the project including scheduling meetings, developing agendas, and project documentation, coordinating internal project meetings, ensuring timely delivery and managing resources.
- Contributing to Alta’s internal Professional Development programs by developing and presenting material.
- Actively participating in industry-relevant professional associations and committees including assuming board-level positions.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining annual strategic plans (“SPROCKET” plans).
This position requires a combination of skills, experience and education including, but not limited to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Must posses an ASLA or PE certification
- Twelve (12) or more years of experience as a Transportation Engineer in a consulting environment or public entity participating in large projects for both private and public clients.
- Experience in, and knowledge of, the field of active, non-motorized transportation.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience preparing Plans, Specifications and Estimates packages for roadway projects and a detailed understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- In-depth knowledge of NACTO, MUTCD, ADA, and relevant state DOT design requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of engineering principles and techniques.
- Ability to effectively read, understand and utilize technical drawings, maps and other similar documents.
- Exhibits strong initiative and the ability to capitalize on opportunities to enhance Alta’s position in the marketplace.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent professional ethics, leadership skills, accountability, and decision-making capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, presentation, and analytic skills.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Synchro/SimTraffic, or similar products. Proficiency in an enterprise-wide resource planning and project management tool.
Preferred Skills + Certifications
There are a number of additional skills, experience and education that would be beneficial to this position including, but not limited to:
- Three (3) or more years of experience as a Project Manager.
- Detailed understanding of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or a related field of study.
- Experience using Deltek Vision and/or MicroStation V8.
- Proven ability to guide staff members and manage internal team expectations.
- Experience writing and presenting white papers and/or providing expert level presentations at conferences and other events promoting the field of sustainable infrastructure and active, non-motorized transportation.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you’d be a good fit at Alta. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta Planning + Design is an equal employment opportunity employer and strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, medical condition including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity (including transgender status), weight, height, linguistic characteristics (such as accent and limited English proficiency, where not substantially job-related), citizenship status, or any other basis prohibited by law.