The BikeRaleigh Plan Update was adopted by the Raleigh City Council on May 17, 2016.
The 2009 Raleigh Bicycle Transportation Plan, led by Alta, helped Raleigh achieve a bronze-level Bicycle Friendly Community (BFC). This 2015 update to the city’s bicycle network plan lays out a 5-year infrastructure, programming, and policy strategy that will raise Raleigh to silver-level BFC status.
The plan recommends an expansion of the bicycle network to address a wider majority of bicyclists, which includes a network of neighborhood bikeways and protected bikeways, a strategy supported by current research and best practice. Major work tasks in the plan include the following:
- A bicycle level of traffic stress analysis of the City’s entire network of streets and intersections
- An equity analysis identifying underserved populations across the City
- The City’s first State of Bicycling in Raleigh report describing the City’s accomplishments since the 2009 Plan
- A data-driven prioritization of the bicycle network
- A framework for five-year implementation and long-term bicycle network build-out